Flagstaff settler Thomas Forsythe McMillan, as part of an original 160-acre homestead, built this hand-adzed square log house in 1886. After his marriage in 1888, he covered the logs with siding and built a lean-to at the back of the house. The house was in disrepair when the Coltons purchased the property in 1927. They restored it for housing summer visitors and used it for the biology laboratory and collections area. The Eddie McKee family lived in the house during the late 1930s and early 1940s. When the Ned Dansen family moved in during the 1950s, the house was upgraded again. In 1976, MNA refurbish the home and nearby springs with a matching grant from the State Historic Preservation Office. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was leased by the Grand Canyon Trust until 1995. Since then, the Homestead has been restored as closely as possible to its original condition.