Date: April 16-20, 2018
Cost: $1,675 Member/$1,775 Non-Member
Details & Itinerary: Explore the fascinating geology and spectacularly diverse landscapes of Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument and experience some of its finest and little-known gems on day hikes that are three miles or less round trip. Daily adventures with your personal geologist, Wayne Ranney, begin and end in the comfort of the Boulder Mountain Lodge, with evening dinners available at local restaurants.
Cost Includes: Transportation, lodging (double occupancy, $300 for single supplement), breakfast, and lunch. Dinners are an additional expense.
Accommodations: Boulder Mountain Lodge
What to Expect: We will be traveling by a 12 passenger van and a support vehicle. Our trip begins and ends in Flagstaff, ranging in elevation from 7000 ft to 4000 ft. Expect some drives on dirt roads, but not four-wheeling. Participants should be comfortable standing and hiking for several hours. You will be asked to provide your health history and information prior to the trip. Please call (928) 774-5211 x222 if you have any concerns.
- Monday, April 16: 7:30 am meet at MNA Research Center parking lot, depart for Utah stopping at Cameron Trading Post, Page, Big Water Visitor Center, Cottonwood Canyon road (weather permitting), Cannonville Visitor Center, arrive in Boulder.
- Tuesday, April 17: Lovely 5.5 mile hike to Calf Creek Falls. The trail is largely flat with pictographs along the way. Picnic lunch near Calf Creek campground. Return to Boulder for dinner.
- Wednesday, April 18: Explore the Hole in the Rock Road area of Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. Learn about Mormon history along the way with stops at Devils Garden (1/2 mile walk), Peek-a-boo canyon and Dry Fork of Coyote Gulch (3 miles). Return to Boulder for dinner.
- Thursday, April 19: Visit Burr Trail portion of the Monument, Long Canyon (slot canyon), Wolverine Petrified Wood area, Burr Trail Switchbacks for an optional one mile walk down the road, and Strike Valley Overlook. Dinner in Boulder.
- Friday, April 20: Depart for Flagstaff, stopping in Bryce Canyon for ½ mile hike to Mossy Cave. Lunch in Kanab at Visitor Center, continue to Toadstools for a one mile hike to colorful hoodoos. Arrive back at Museum by 6:00 p.m.
Please call (928) 774-5211 x222 with questions or concerns.Register Now