Dates: Sept. 17-22, 2017 (6 days/5 nights)
Trip Leaders: Don Keller (Archaeologist) & Tom Sheeley (Classical Guitarist)
Cost: $1,495 Member/$1,595 Non-Member
Difficulty: Easy to moderate
Details & Itinerary:
Take the plunge into the deep lower canyon of the San Juan River with long-time Ventures leader and archaeologist Don Keller and classical guitarist Tom Sheeley. The San Juan River provides the perfect combination of relaxing water along with several Class II rapids for some excitement. During the day, float through the famous Goosenecks with magnificent limestone and sandstone walls lining the narrow canyon with plenty of opportunity to hike and explore clear water pools in side canyons of exquisite beauty. Spend the evenings beneath the desert stars serenaded by inspiring guitar music while reflecting on the day’s journey. Days of movement on the river and nights of music will be the perfect way to end the summer season in style.
- Sunday, Sept. 17: Meet at MNA at 12:00 pm, drive to Bluff, UT, spend the night at Recapture Lodge. Dinner at own expense.
- Monday, Sept. 18-Friday, Sept. 22: Put in at Mexican Hat, Utah, float the lower San Juan river, stopping at a different campsite each night.
- Friday, Sept. 22: Take-out at Clay Hills Crossing, return to MNA by 6:00 pm
- Lodging on Sept. 17 at Recapture Lodge in Bluff, UT
- Meals from Breakfast on Monday, Sept.18 through lunch on Friday, Sept. 22
- Transportation from MNA to Bluff, UT and back
- All permits, guides, boats, river equipment, waterproof bags, and cooking gear
Participants provide dinner on Sunday, Sept. 17, and personal gear
What to Expect:
The trip will begin and end in Flagstaff. Guests will travel in a 12-passenger van. Elevation on the San Juan River is about 4,000 feet. Participants should be comfortable riding in a boat for much of each day along with some hiking. Health history and information is required at the time of registration.
Please call (928) 774-5211 x222 with questions or concerns.Register Now