2024 Junior Indigenous Art Exhibition
Deadline Midnight January 31, 2024
Young Native artists (ages 5-18) from the Colorado Plateau are invited to enter the Junior Indigenous Art Competition, which runs annually in an online format. All submissions will be displayed in a virtual art exhibition on the Museum’s website and shared on social media, including Facebook and Instagram.
The tradition of an annual youth art show goes back to 1931, when Museum of Northern Arizona co-founder and Curator of Art Mary-Russell Ferrell Colton started an annual exhibit to encourage Arizona school students to showcase their artwork. As the years progressed, the show focused on children from schools on the Navajo, Hopi, and Havasupai reservations. MNA has more than 250 pieces of artwork in its collection that were originally displayed during the years of the show, which ended in 1974, according to records. The museum continues to encourage young artists through these pages and awards given at its annual Heritage Festival.
Entries into this virtual art competition will be juried in two age groups—Youth (ages 12 and under) or Young Adult (ages 13 to 18). Within each age group, submissions will compete for first and second-place awards in the following categories:
- 2D Fine Art—may include original paintings, photography, cut paper, printmaking, mixed media, and drawings. Items made through mechanical reproduction, including posters, note cards, and t-shirts are not allowed. Giclée, Iris, or other digital photographic reproduction techniques are limited only to photography.
- Cultural Art—This category may include a variety of traditional and/or culturally-based works. Examples include but are not limited to: personal attire and accessories, figurative objects, musical instruments, beadwork, textiles, carvings, sculpture, and functional objects such as bows and arrows, furniture, and shields.
Award packages, including a $50 gift card, will be given to first-place and second-place winners. Artists may submit one piece and may suggest which category they would prefer their entry to be in.
How to enter
To enter, email the following to Discovery@musnaz.org by midnight, January 31, 2024:
- The artist’s name
- Tribal affiliation
- The artist’s age
- Contact information for the artist or artist’s family
- Artist statement (300 words or less)
- Title of piece and brief description
- Which category the piece fits into: 2D Fine Art or Cultural Art
- Up to three high-quality photos of the piece
Deadline: Midnight January 31, 2024
Email Sacha Siskonen at Discovery@musnaz.org with any questions.
Winners will be announced on in March 2024 to celebrate Youth Art Month. Winners will be notified via email about getting their gift card for art supplies and other goodies.
View Past Year’s Junior Art Exhibitions