Buildings & Campus

MNA’s 200 acre museum campus includes the Museum exhibit building, office space, research lab space, and collection storage for more than five million Native American artifacts, natural science specimens, and fine art pieces. The Easton Collection Center, dedicated in 2009, is a 17,000 square foot LEED Platinum building dedicated to housing collection objects in the best possible environment for preservation. Many of the Museum's 40-plus buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The following image is interactive. Please click on the corresponding information icon to read more about each area of our campus.

The Coops

The Coops

The Coops on MNA’s Research campus are used as housing for interns, visiting scholars, and artists in residence. The coops consist of nine, single-room units, a community kitchen, and bathhouse.

Discovery Village

Discovery Village

In 2010, three historic cabins on MNA’s campus, Matthews, Guernsey and Fewkes were relocated behind the Newberry Building on MNA’s Research Center campus. These buildings are currently used as classrooms for MNA’s summer Discovery programs for kids.

Research Center

Research Center

MNA founders Dr. and Mrs. Colton purchased the land where the Research Center is located in 1927 and established Antelope Valley Ranch, a working dairy and farm. Through the years, many conversions have been made and new buildings have been erected. MNA collections, research departments, and administration moved from the exhibit building to quarters at the Research Center.

McMillan Homestead

McMillan Homestead

Follow the link to read about the rich history of the homestead. In 1976, MNA refurbished the home and nearby springs with a matching grant from the State Historic Preservation Office. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was leased by the Grand Canyon Trust until 1995. Since then, the Homestead has been restored as closely as possible to its original condition.

Museum Exhibition

Museum Exhibition

Built during the Depression with local malpais (lava rock) masonry, the building opened in the spring of 1936. The original structure included the south entrance, the anthropology and geology galleries, the bookstore, and museum shop. The Branigar/Chase Discovery Center is the newest addition to MNA.

Easton Collection Center

Easton Collection Center

The Easton Collection Center is a premier attraction of MNA’s Research Campus. The ECC represents MNA’s commitment to the highest standard of care for its collections. The ECC provides a stable and secure environment for collections, with optimal ranges of temperature and humidity; a fire suppression system; protection from insect damage; and a high degree of security.

 

Museum Exhibition Building & Branigar-Chase Discovery Center

Research Center

Discovery Village

The Coops

McMillan Homestead

Easton Collection Center